Saturday, October 9, 2010

Oct 9 Day 5 Venice




Started the day walking through the aqua alta (high water) in St Mark's Square, which apparently happens in the autumn!  Then I went into the massive International Architecture Competition, which is only on for 6 weeks and I was fortunate enough to be able to see it.  The range of entries was vast, from a swinging and swirling spray of water illuminated by black light (representing the fleeting nature of structure, I guess), to walking through the clouds (see me looking like a ghost in the photo), to a model of a new Japanese opera house (totally cool - one picture included here), and the US entry showing improvements to LA and NY and New Orleans that will help with overcrowding, cars, pollution, rising water, etc - very cool.  Then, I walked through a couple of neighborhoods, did some shopping, and went to an organ concert in a gorgeous 14th century church (which is only once a month, so I was lucky).  This city is so rich with art, music, history, style, religion, great food, etc, etc... the list goes on.  It will be hard to leave here tomorrow morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment