Thursday, October 21, 2010

Oct 21 Day 17 The Monastery

Well I was obviously wrong about Betty and John looking out for my welfare.  Despite knowing that I have done nothing but eat for the past 3 weeks, they still suggested that I walk up a "little hill" to see the monastery.  Trusting that they knew what they were talking about, I took off, first on the bicycle through the town and feeling quite conspicuous, then leaving the bike propped against the large cross by the side of the road (so that potential thieves would be really hesitant), then walking straight UP the hill for one whole hour before I got to the Franciscan Monastery (Casalei). It was exhausting (see the picture from almost the top of the hill), but worth it.

I walked into tiny chiesa (church), just past the Convent, and walked the entire length of the church which took only about 12 steps. As I entered the next tiny prayer room, I disturbed a monk in a brown robe (he looked exactly like I imagined St. Francis to look), but he did not seem to mind, and in Italian he invited me to look into the monk's living quarters.


The bedroom door was no more than 5 feet tall, the dimensions were no more than 6 ft by 6 ft, and the little wooden bed was only about 7 inches off the floor.
This tiny hallway leads to more rooms and another prayer room, and I saw no evidence of rugs, blankets, or any personal belongings.  The only pictures were religious.

Guess that is what it takes to live cloistered, in poverty, and in a prayerful mood 24 - 7.


Notice the cat next to St. Francis. This is one of 8 that I counted just outside of the church.  Apparently they do take seriously that St. Francis is the patron saint of animals. 



After running down the hill, in order to be on time for our next appointment, we walked back to painter Mario Baragli's home for another visit. This is his website -
http://www.mariobaragli.it/galleria_oli/index.php.
We were able to meet his daughter and granddaughter, see more artwork, have some wine and cakes, and have a nice visit.

We are now packing for our weekend trip to Val d'Orcia because the students and I read Iris Origo's wonderful book entitled War in Val d'Orcia and the entire area is supposed to be gorgeous.  I recommend the book to everyone, even if you are not planning a trip to the area.

My legs are still aching.

No comments:

Post a Comment