Friday, November 5, 2010

Nov 4 Day 31 Pitti Palace, Boboli Garden, and Symphony




Today was just too beautiful a day to spend much time inside museums, so I spent the better part of the day at the Boboli Garden, behind the Pallazo Pitti.
The palace itself is magnificent, now a museum for part of the Medici’s paintings.  The abundance and variety of artwork is large (including paintings by Titian, Raphael, Pissaro and millions of others and a gorgeous statue of Victor Hugo and many of Greek gods and goddesses), and I have to admit that it is nice to see some non-religious art as well.  
The thought of living in that palace, with the amazing frescoes on the extremely high ceilings, the bas reliefs (not sure if that is the correct term), the gardens, the patios, etc, seems impossible.  The palace was begun in the mid 15th century by Mr. Pitti who wanted to irk his business rivals, the Medici.  Unfortunately for him, it bankrupt him and he had to sell to – whom else – the Medici.  They linked the palace with the old offices, the Ufizzi, and there is a special passageway to get back and forth (if you pay a lot of money you can do it).   There was also gorgeous furniture, vases, interesting desks, many statutes and beautiful views.  




The gardens have fabulous canopy tree walks, where the trees come together and create a never-ending cover. 

The fountains and statures all around are lovely, and there is an interesting grotto as well as a number of humorous things like a fat, naked court dwarf on a turtle.





I thought this guy was pretty cute...
He is made of metal and his head is probably 20 feet (or more) high.
This is new - only from about 1997.
















Dina Ross needs to be singing Stop in the Name of Love when you see this one.


This is an example of the locks that the young suitors put on the bridges to prove their undying love for the girlfriends.  It symbolizes locking their hearts together, then the guy dramatically flings the key into the Arno River as proof that he will never unlock his heart from hers.  Sweet.  





At night, I went back to my favorite restaurant, Cibreo, and once again had a most amazing (and huge) meal.  After about 6 appetizers (that I didn't even order), I had a rich fish soup along with a pumpkin soup (also that I didn't order), then for the primi piatti, a sausage and white bean dish along with a potato souffle (nope, didn't order that either), and ending with espresso and, you guessed it, a dessert that I didn't order - a flourless dark chocolate cake.  I had more wine than I ordered as well.  I wobbled away very happy.



The evening ended with the Orchestra della Toscana to hear their inauguration concert of Strauss and Mahler.  It was an ok theater but a great concert.  My feet and legs were killing me by the end of the day (I’ve been walking everywhere). This is a picture of the front of the lovely convent, where the nuns and housekeepers are sweet as can be.






No comments:

Post a Comment