Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Nov 3 Day 30 Exploring Florence

 How can it possibly be that I have been in Italy for 30 days?!  The time has flown and the country continues to astound me.




Today was a busy day, between visiting Basilica di Santa Maria, the Accademia, the Basilica di Santa Lorenzo, taking my wine appreciation course and then testing it in an Enoteca (wine bar), then shopping all along the Mercato Centrale, and meeting Jen and her mom Caroline for dinner at Cibrero, the most delicious restaurant (Jen is a friend of Sarah - a cousin from the Bender side but a cousin nonetheless), where the waiters are adorable.



This is from the side of one of the many churches I visited today:



Ok, so here is the odd thing of the day... in the garden of the convent, next to the beautiful statues of Mary, there are the Seven Dwarfs, and here is proof (see Heidi, these gnomes are fashionable here too!):


At the Accademia, David is, of course, astonishing.  He stands 13 feet tall, has look in his eye that says "Take THAT, Giant," and  - ok I'll admit that I had to take off my sweater.  Not that I had a hot flash or anything, but I think that the hall was overheated...

The other statues were nice too, especially the one of the young prince who loved his pet deer and accidentally killed it and was so overwrought with grief that the god Apollon took pity on him and turned him into a cypress tree. There was another especially beautiful one that was the plaster mold for a cemetery tomb where the folds of the fabric were perfect - how in the world can a sculptor do that with marble??  


Here is a picture from our dinner, which really was so fun, from the drinks at the cafe to sitting in the formal restaurant alone for 30 minutes because I was mixed up about where to meet, to having a lovely dinner along with a fun couple from (where else?) Australia (though they are not pictured here).
Whew, this city is exhausting!

No comments:

Post a Comment